Home Surge Protection
Home Surge Protection Installation
A majority of household products require electricity to function. Unfortunately, electrical disasters related to power surges can compromise these susceptible belongings by frying or melting the items in an instant! These can range from small household items to more significant items like HVAC system, hot water heater, and electrical wiring. Although these incidents can take place in a moments notice, you can protect you and your belongings by simply calling Mister Sparky to install and maintain home surge protectors.
Our professional electricians will arrive promptly to your property to not only implement the home surge protector, but examine your existing grounding system as well to make certain that your home will be fully protected. It is important to note that surge protection isn’t as effective without a proper grounding system. NEMA offers a more in depth look at grounding and bonding. Contact Mister Sparky to secure your electronic valuables through home surge protector installation and services.
The Price of whole home surge protection will vary based on how much they can protect and the manufacturer coverage. They are typically $500 or more, including the parts and electrician labor to install it correctly. Most Mister Sparky surge protectors carry a 5-year manufacturer warranty. How long it lasts varies on how often your electrical system relies on the surge protection device for protection.
What Are Power Surges?
Power surges, which may also be referred to as voltage surges, occur when voltage is elevated beyond normalcy for greater than 10 milliseconds. Power surges may happen through two different types of cases:
- Spikes (elevations) or interruptions in the electrical current cause a boost in the flow of energy to electrical outlets
- An electrical source induces a back-flow of energy
Power surges can lead to a jolt of electricity increasing the electrical flow by as little as 5 volts to 1000’s of volts depending on the cause of the surge. Serious variations can cause electrical equipment connected to outlets “fry” and can blow fuses completely. Surges can affect sensitive electronic devices and microprocessors including but not limited to:
- Televisions and related equipment (DVD players and stereos)
- Computers as well as servers and modems
- Telephones and answering machines; faxing machines, laser printers and copy machines
- Kitchen and utility appliances such as refrigerators, dishwashers, and microwaves, washing machines and dryers
- Residential and commercial security systems
- Heating systems and air conditioning
- Automatic garage doors
Surges may also be a threat to smaller electrical devices such as hair dryers, electronic tools, and even electric razors.
What Causes Power Surges?
Power surges can originate from internal or external sources, it is estimated that 60-80% of surges originate internally. The main external sources of power surges include lightning, grid and capacitor bank switching, and damage to power lines or transformers. Since lightning may strike power lines or transformers, these disasters rarely transpire but are generally the largest dangers. Other complications may arise from branches or debris coming in contact with power supply, restoration of electricity after power outages, and transfers of electricity performed by electricity companies.
Internal power surges are typically caused from large loads switching on and off. For instance, any appliance that is turned on then shut off regularly such as washing machines and hair dryers may provoke a power surge. Refrigerators and air conditioning or cooling systems are a couple of the most common sources of power surges. For commercial properties, elevators, vending machines, and large computers may be potential hazards. Because these appliances require high amounts of continual energy that is often interrupted or altered when changing from function to function, power may be diverted. The intensity of the surge depends on the amount of power that is being altered in the process. Luckily, household items generally cause much less severe forms of power surges.
Homeowners should be aware that errors in electrical wiring can also cause serious power surges. Systems that have not been installed correctly pose high risks for these electrical issues. It is important to have your electrical wiring installed and examined by professional electricians to prevent damage to your home.
How Can Home Surge Protection Prevent Surges?
Surge protectors allow electric currents to run through them to electronic devices. Once a voltage spike is detected, surge protectors take on the energy and transfer excess electricity to the grounding wire of the outlet. Surge protectors can sustain high amounts of voltage in order to absorb the energy released in a power surge. The most common surge protectors are whole house surge protectors and point of use surge protectors
- Whole house surge protectors prevent damage from transient surges or surges from outdoor sources which may affect the energy flow as it enters the service entrance or electrical panel of the house. This effectively minimizes the intensity of the power surge before reaching electronic devices. However, whole house surge protectors are not designed to protect against power surges caused by electrical fluctuations within the home.
- Point of use surge protectors plug into wall outlets in order to defend electronics and items with microprocessors against power surges. This style of surge protector can endure approximately 6,000 volts.
- A power surge is a sudden increase in voltage that can damage or destroy electronic equipment. Surges can occur when large appliances, such as air conditioners, turn on and off. Surge protection has been required by the National Electrical Code (NEC) since 2014, and 82% of surveyed professionals indicated that surge protection is necessary to protect expensive equipment. According to ESFI, surge protection is now required for dwelling units. Must be protected by either a type 1 or type 2 surge protection device. These devices protect from electrical devices and appliances that may not have been protected by point of use surge protection.
On Time Guarantee
We’re Here Whenever You Need Us
“We’re on time you’ll see or your electrical repair is free”. We back our superior electrical service with not only integrity, transparency, and dependability, but also our On Time Guarantee. We understand your time is valuable which is why we guarantee we will be there when you call.
When you need expert electrician services in Houston or surrounding areas, just give us a call at (713) 428-2120 or click here to book your appointment online so we can send a Mister Sparky technician to help you as soon as possible.
Red Carpet Treatment
The Respect you Deserve
Our technicians understand the value of being neat and considerate while working in your personal space, which is reflected in how we leave your home after solving eletrical issues.
Mister Sparky protects your home while he’s working: he slips on shoe covers (“floor savers”) and will even go the extra mile and roll out a red carpet to protect your flooring from dirt, scuffing, and scratches. Work completed, he vacuums the area to ensure that he leaves your home as clean or cleaner, than he found it.
Starched White Shirt
The Mister Sparky Standard
Because of Mister Sparky’s commitment to excellent service, we believe in hiring only the most professional and knowledgeable Houston Electricians. This means that in addition to technical excellence, all Mister Sparky electricians must uphold our Starched White Shirt standard for conduct and professionalism.
You can easily recognize a Mister Sparky electrician by his clean-cut, freshly shaven appearance and his signature starched white shirt and gray pants.
Submit your review
Tommy was extremely polite, helpful, and explained everything that needed to be!
Used Mister Sparky to help with a bad GFI outlet and they were very professional, reasonable pricing and timely. Would highly recommend if you need an electrician!
We were very impressed by Mister Sparky's ease of scheduling. Chad came to our home and was very helpful and professional. Highly recommend!
You came quickly - even on a Saturday!! Your employees are excellent. Jeremy kept his eyes open for other helpful jobs he couold do for us.
I would not hesitate to recommend Mister Sparky to anyone. Tony is great and did a fantastic job at my house. I appreciated his honesty and integrity - 2 qualities missing from many service companies today.