DIY Electrical Help
Electrical Installation and Repair: The Cost of Doing it Yourself
With the country recovering from a recession, it makes sense to strive to save money whenever possible. So when it’s time to install or repair something, the do-it-yourself (DIY) route may seem appealing. However, for the amateur electrician, DIY electrical projects come with certain risk factors.
Risks of DIY electrical projects:
- Electrocution: Electric shock is still a leading cause of death for construction workers. Even with the appropriate equipment and training, electrocution is a very real possibility. For DIYers without the proper equipment or training, the risk of death by electric shock increases dramatically.
- Electrical Fires: In 2011 alone, there were 47,700 residential electrical fires,causing 418 deaths, 1,570 injuries, and $1.4 billion in property damage. One small oversight is all it takes for an electrical failure to cause everything to go up in smoke. To make matters worse, homeowners insurance policies sometimes will not cover damages indirectly caused by a DIY electrical project.
- Mistakes: If you find that you were not able to do the work yourself, you risk making the problem worse and spending more to fix it that you would have originally. If you are able to accomplish it, it may still come up in an inspection when you’re trying to sell your home, in which case you would have to pay to have the job redone.
If you’re still set on attempting your DIY electrical project, there are ways to make the process safer.
Basic DIY Electrical Help
- Have the time and patience to plan out your materials in advance and give yourself ample time to complete a project so that you aren’t feeling rushed.
- Learn as much as you can about your home’s electrical system and the project you are going to undertake. Be honest with yourself if the project may be above your skill level, and call a professional.
- Be sure to shut off the power on your circuit breaker panel before working on any wires. Inform others around the house of what you’re doing so that there’s no danger of anyone turning it back on while you’re working.
- If your work requires a ladder, opt for one made from a non-conductive material such as fiberglass, and stay away from aluminum.
- Always wear shoes, preferably rubber-soled ones.
- Avoid working in damp or wet places.
- When working with fuses, always grab them with one hand only so that you will not create a circuit, allowing electricity to pass through your heart.
In the end, while DIY electrical work may be worth it for some, the costs generally outweigh the benefits. You’ll risk spending more time and money, and endanger your home, yourself and your family in the process.
Mister Sparky electricians are experienced and highly-qualified to meet all of your electrical needs from installations to repairs to upgrades. Our electricians will always show up within the scheduled appointment time, or your repair is free. Why risk your safety when prompt, affordable, expert service is just a phone call away?
Call Mister Sparky today at 713-428-2120.
On Time Guarantee
We’re Here Whenever You Need Us
“We’re on time you’ll see or your electrical repair is free”. We back our superior electrical service with not only integrity, transparency, and dependability, but also our On Time Guarantee. We understand your time is valuable which is why we guarantee we will be there when you call.
When you need expert electrician services in Houston or surrounding areas, just give us a call at (713) 428-2120 or click here to book your appointment online so we can send a Mister Sparky technician to help you as soon as possible.
Red Carpet Treatment
The Respect you Deserve
Our technicians understand the value of being neat and considerate while working in your personal space, which is reflected in how we leave your home after solving eletrical issues.
Mister Sparky protects your home while he’s working: he slips on shoe covers (“floor savers”) and will even go the extra mile and roll out a red carpet to protect your flooring from dirt, scuffing, and scratches. Work completed, he vacuums the area to ensure that he leaves your home as clean or cleaner, than he found it.
Starched White Shirt
The Mister Sparky Standard
Because of Mister Sparky’s commitment to excellent service, we believe in hiring only the most professional and knowledgeable Houston Electricians. This means that in addition to technical excellence, all Mister Sparky electricians must uphold our Starched White Shirt standard for conduct and professionalism.
You can easily recognize a Mister Sparky electrician by his clean-cut, freshly shaven appearance and his signature starched white shirt and gray pants.