To upgrade my electrical panel, or not…
There are quite few different reasons why you may need to upgrade your electrical panel. If it is older than 20 years old, it may be time to upgrade. Another reason for upgrading is if your panel has been improperly installed and is not UL Listed or has ”hot spots.” You may also need to upgrade if your breaker panel has been left open for long periods of time and moisture gets in. Upgrading your electrical panel can be an expensive project but very much worth every penny if your house calls for it.
You should think twice before paying an electrician $2000 to upgrade your electrical panel. Because there is so much profit in electrical panel upgrades, many electrical contractors will try to sell you on the need for one even if it is not necessary. If your electrical panel is old but still safe, it is not detrimental to upgrade our box in a hurry. You can find out if your panel is safe by clicking here or contacting one our electricians at Mister Sparky.
Reasons for an upgrade to your electrical panel:
- Your panel has fuses instead of circuit breakers
- Your panel is less than 100 amps
- You have recently completed a home addition
- Your main breaker keeps tripping
- The inside of your panel has a strong burnt odor or has visible heat damage
- You have added large home appliances to your older home such as an electric over, spa, air conditioning, etc.
If you have decided it is time for an electrical panel upgrade, you should get in touch with a local, trusted electrician who will give you the right solution for your situation.